Friday, May 18, 2012

Hawaii, Day 1

I've decided that it will be a lot easier if I blog some things now instead of wait until I get back and have a bazillion photos to download and two things to say about it because it was too long ago to remember all the details.
That being said, welcome to day one of our trip to Hawaii! Well, technically day two. Yesterday was traveling, drive to the airport, two hour flight to L.A., two hour layover, six back breaking hours to Lihue on the island of Kauai (seriously, it was way worse than I thought it would be, six hours is a long time, I don't know how people who fly all over the world do it...), then an hour drive to the house we are staying in. We oggled over the beautiful drive to the North side of the island like little kids. "WHOA, look at THAT! Look at that waterfall! Look at those trees! Whoa, look at those birds! Look at the waves!" and so on all the way into Hanalei. Then Rose and I stayed up ridiculously late talking and catching up and everyone else went to bed.
Today we checked out the nearby beach, Tunnels Beach. Gorgeous. I didn't realize how soft my feet have gotten. By the end of the day I couldn't walk in the sand anymore because it was too rough on my bare feet. The water was amazing. We saw a seal on the beach (a monk seal, they roped it off because it's an endangered species, they didn't want people harassing it, and he just sat there and basked in the sun with a little smile on his face) and a turtle in the water. And also lots of birds I don't recognize and little lizards and frogs. And CHICKENS. Roosters and chickens everywhere. They were walking around the airport when we got there, they are like Colorado's magpies or ravens. But the scenery is definitely amazing and beautiful and wonderful. God definitely made a paradise here, there is no doubt about it. Such a perfect place. Here's a couple of pictures of today's adventures: 






 At the end of the day after we had gone to visit the lighthouse, we stopped to get some groceries again and saw this magnificent rainbow erupting out of the ocean on the drive back. Since I was driving, I immediately pulled over so we could all get some shots. It was lovely.   
Currently I am the last one up, listening to the crickets and the rain dripping off the leaves outside, tending my sore feet and sunburns. It seems surreal being out here and I wish I could share it with Craig, really. I keep turning here and there wanting to point out things that he would like and he's not there. I also am immediately drawn to any child within a 50 ft. radius of me. If I can't have my own kids here, apparently I must be interested in everyone else's. I was able to talk to the kids on skype today from my phone- Odell still calls me Momma, that's a good sign. It looks like things are in order out there, thank you Craig for being the best Daddy in the world and manning the fort for us. It puts my heart at ease and I promise that I'm enjoying myself. 
I must be getting off to bed myself, long day tomorrow too. G'night neverland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment